Good Food means food that is:
Healthy - It provides nourishment and enables people to thrive
Green - It was produced in a manner that is environmentally sustainable
Fair - No one along the production line was exploited for its creation
Affordable - All people have access to it
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Governor proposes $1 million for food hubs
Michigan’s need and opportunity to build stronger community and commercial connections between food producers and consumers is attracting important attention from the state capitol.
Last week, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder presented his fiscal 2013-2014 budget recommendations. They include support for regional food hubs and other investments in the farm sector’s capacity to meet growing demand for healthy, green, fair, affordable food.
State lawmakers will have the final say in budget process. But here are highlights from the Governor’s recommendation for Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development:
· Regional Food Hubs - $1 million to support food hubs providing increased markets and value-added economic opportunities for Michigan farmers and businesses.
· Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) – an additional $1 million to help us meet the goal of completing 5,000 verifications by 2015.
· Migrant Labor Housing - $400,000 for additional migrant labor program staff to conduct seasonal housing inspections at Michigan’s 850 migrant labor camps which house 22,000 migrants.
· Food Safety – an additional $500,000 to assist with preventive food safety measures, including implementing new federal Food Safety Modernization Act requirements.
· Rural Development - $600,000 for additional staff to identify and coordinate increased rural and economic development efforts, and provide additional export market development expertise.
· Conservation District Grants - $500,000 to provide landowners with assistance grants in managing their forestland to help increase the number of acres under a sustainable forestry management plan.
Posted by Patty Cantrell, Regional Food Solutions LLC at 8:19 AM